Guided Walking Tours Of Alcock and Brown and Marconi Station
By Simon (BA: Archaeology)
Alcock and Browne Marconi Sightseeing is based near Clifden in Co. Galway (R341rd). We give guided tourism information and sightseeing in this most historical place of the development of communications and aviation in the early 20th Century.
Alcock and Brown/Marconi Guided Walking tours are situated outside Clifden on the R341 road 3km south in the townland of Derrygimbla. Derrygimbla bog complex is situated on a special area of conservation of national park lands. The Derrygimbla bog complex, flora and fauna consist of; purple heather, bog cotton, water lily, buttercup and yellow daisy. Clifden town in Connemara is the capital of Connemara has a population of around 2000 people. Connemara is a region west of Co. Galway and has a total population of 10 to 15,000 people. Connemara and the Clifden area have an abundance of heritage/history and archaeology sites, from Leenane in the northwest towards Oughterard to the east.
The Archaeology and landscape of Connemara involves a period of about 7000 years that consists of some megalithic tombs, gaelic towerhouses, 13th /15th century chapels, crannogs, ancient track ways, cashel enclosures, holy wells and bronze age sites. The main geoglacial and rock formation throughout Connemara consists of granite, marble and limestone formations. The Alcock and Brown landing site white coloured memorial cairn was built in 1959 to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the first transatlantic flight in 1919 from Newfoundland Canada to Clifden Ireland. The memorial was designed by a commercial airline pilot in the shape of nose plane. A statue of Alcock and Brown aviators is located in Heathrow Airport in London. The plane used for the first transatlantic flight was called a Vickers Vimy Biplane based on a World War 1 bomber aircraft. Adjacent to the landing site is the Marconi Telegraph station which was built in 1907. The Marconi Station consisted of a cluster of buildings which is in ruins today.
The Marconi site complex consists of over 300 sq metre acres. The main structures on the site consist of the condensorhouse, powerhouse and engineers bungalow. Alcock and Brown transmitted a telegraph message to London from the receiving house at the Marconi Station stating that they completed the first ever transatlantic flight when the crash landed at the Marconi Station in Clifden on 15th of June 1919. It took 19 hours for Alcock and Browne to cross the North Atlantic which consisted of an average speed of 95MPH using only a compass and sextant. Alcock and Brown after crash landing at the Marconi Station were transported by Lancia railcar to the receiving house on a narrow 4 foot gauge railway. Alcock and Brown landed accidently at the Marconi Station. The Marconi Telegraph Station near where Alcock and Brown crash landed employed about 250 people during its peak although the core staff was about 50-60 people. The Marconi Telegraph Station operated during 24hours a day but sadly closed down and was damaged in 1922.