Conedensor House Marconi Station Site
The condenser house was the biggest structure on the Marconi Station Site. Alcock and Brown landed 300metres south of the condenser house on a flat open bog plain. The main purpose of the condenser house was to receive and transmit radio signals. The condenser house measured in size of about 100-200metres in length and 50 to 80metres in width. The material used for the condenser house was made of a metal casing on the outside. Metal condenser plates were included on top of the building inside. The condenser house consisted of 3 floors. A fire pit underneath the condenser house was used to transmit fire power to generate power for signal transmissions.
The condenser house was also used to tune and manage signals transmissions. About 150kw (15000) volts of energy was used to power the radio signals. The main transmitter masts made of wood behind the condenser house ranged from about 200-300 metres in height. The masts were used to send and receive radio wave signals at the Marconi Station. A narrow gauge railway ran and stopped adjacent to the condenser house. The railway was used to transport workers and supplies to the condenser house. Large batteries and transistors were located inside the top of the condenser house.
The condenser house started operations in 1907 until 1922. The condenser house was manned and had operated during the day and night, seven days a week. Sounds from the condenser house included loud booms or sound waves and static due to the high voltage energy. Sadly in 1922 the condenser house was damaged and burned down during the Irish civil war. After 1922 radio transmission signals ended from the Marconi Station and thus transferred operations to Canarveron in North Wales where a similar wireless station was built. The remains of the condenser house is all of destroyed but there are some remains of the structure including remains of the foundation, front entrance bay, underground fire pit and aerial anchor points.